There Be Pirates! And Not The Good Kind!


THE WALKING DEAD #69

story ROBERT KIRKMAN art/cover CHARLIE ADLARD & CLIFF RATHBURN
32 PAGES, 2.99

At long last... they arrive. But will things get better... or WORSE?

Coming to a shelf near you January 27th

So. Freaking. Excited.

On a side note, I saw this book being advertised on a comic book store website (Third Coast Comics one of the many Chicago stores I have yet to visit...) and thought I'd do a little write up, saying how freaking excited I am for this issue, and I always like to link the images I use to the original publishers website when I can. I naively thought Image Comics' website would come up first; boooooy was I surprised.


(Click on above image to see it LARGER)

I know how desperate one can be to get a The Walking Dead fix, but damn! This book hasn't even come out yet and there were no less than 10 links from different file sharing website. That's such a friendly term, file sharing. Let's be clear here, unless you are borrowing a book from a friend or library that paid for it, you are in no way contributing to the creators of that work. I can see how downloading movies could sometimes be justified (tickets are exorbitantly priced, a lot of movies aren't worth getting off the couch to go see, etc) but comics? And I'm not talking about books like Miracle Man by Alan Moore that won't see the light of day in trade paperback form, that's different.

When I worked at a comic book store, we could read pretty much anything we wanted for free. But there are some books that even if people gave you, you wouldn't give it the time of day. Take for example, the last year's worth of Amazing Spider-Man books. My co-workers would argue that reading as much as possible would keep them informed as to what was happening, and as employees of a store that makes sense. But for the guy that comes in every week and reads books cover to cover off of the new release shelf and leaves after 2 hours without buying anything, if it's not worth buying, it's not worth reading.

I have a budget, too, don't get me wrong. But The Walking Dead is one of the best books being released today, if you don't think it's worth shelling out $3 per issue (or $2 per issue if you read it in trade paperback) or renting it from the library, borrowing it from a friend that bought it last Wednesday,  then you honestly don't think it's worth it.